Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grace

Mistakes are a part of life.  Everyone makes them, and sometimes they hurt others.  This week, one of my mistakes hurt a friend.  Which in turn hurt me.  I apologized, and I am truly sorry.  I'd like this person to forgive me.  I'm not sure what else I can do, after apologizing, besides wait and hope my friend will forgive me.

I'm so glad things aren't like this with God.  I'm so glad that I don't have to wait for Him to stop being upset with me before I am forgiven.  I'm so glad I don't have to wait for His feelings to not be hurt to talk to Him.  I can talk to Him any time, at all times, regardless of my mistakes and shortcomings.  He will always show me mercy and love, even during times when I'm being disciplined. 


None of this means that I think I can just go out and do whatever I want, then ask forgiveness, and all is good.  On the contrary, I know I should strive every day to live and love as Jesus did.  I'm not always good at that, but I try.


Recently, I've been really starting to realize God's grace in my life.  Again.  I'm letting go of my guilt, and I don't feel nearly as weighed down.  It isn't something that comes natural for me, and I have to consciously make the effort.  But I can't do His will if I'm held back by my guilt.  It roots me in place, with no way to move forward.  And forward with Him is the direction I want to go.  I don't have it perfect yet, and I doubt I ever will.  But I am slowly regaining the ground I lost.  And while I'm not proud of it, the mistake above was necessary, I think, for me to know more of God's grace.


I'm so thankful for God's grace.  His grace is what has given me the strength and courage to keep going.  His grace is what carries me when days are hard.  And His grace is what releases me from my past  so I can move forward into His will.



2 comments:

  1. I am having the same struggles with trying to understand his grace. And actually believe it. It's just hard to let go of things sometimes and move forward. This was a great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a lot of trouble understanding and accepting it, too, and it doesn't come easy. And it is definitely hard to let go and move forward sometimes. But I want to move into all He has for me, and I can't do that if I don't first accept His grace and love for me.

      Delete